Last updated: 2021-11-21
The Romanian Correspondence Chess Central Commission and ICCF IM Valer Eugen Demian are happy to announce the organizing of Valer Vasile Demian Memorial (ROU). This memorial takes place on the ICCF server and it consists of 6 groups of 15 players each from a total of 34 countries.
|GROUP A||Category 9 (2451 - 2475)||GM, SIM, IM|
|GROUP B||Category 7 (2401 - 2425)||GM, SIM, IM|
|GROUP C||Category 6 (2376 - 2400)||SIM, IM, CCM, CCE|
|GROUP D||Category 4 (2326 - 2350)||SIM, IM, CCM|
|GROUP E||Category 1 (2251 - 2275)||IM, CCM, CCE|
|GROUP F||Category E (2051 - 2075)||CCE|
- 2021-11-21 Group A: the first win in this group Caron - Pirs 1-0
- 2021-08-20 Group B: the early candidate for the best game of the tournament Sharpe - Iermito 1-0
- 2021-05-25 Group B: the first win in this group Pheby - Barclay 1-0
- 2021-03-01 Group C: the first win in this group Owen - Cumming 1-0
- 2021-01-29 Group D: the first win in this group Gulbis - Fremmegaard 1-0
- 2021-01-26 Group F: Alexandru Cornea (ROU) who passed away was replaced by Romulus-Catalin Damaceanu (ROU)
- 2021-01-19 Group E: the first win in this group Wlodarczyk - Rotaru 1-0
- 2020-12-13 Group F: the first win in the memorial: Stewart - Dobroruka 1-0
- 2020-12-03 Group A: the first result in the memorial: Yeo - Caron 1/2-1/2
The games are played based on the ICCF Rules 2020. The most important highlights are:
- Reflection time is 50 days per 10 moves
- Duplication of reflection days after 20 days of reflection time per move
- Leave is of 45 days per calendar year
- Claims for a win or draw can be made based on the 7 pieces table bases
- Draw offers can be made every 10 moves
- Tie breaks are based on the Baumbach tie-breaking system:
this will be used for determining a clear 1st place winner of each group
- The memorial starts on Dec 15th, 2020
Miron Sferle (ROU) - Romanian Correspondence Chess Central Commission
Valer Eugen Demian (CAN) - Canadian Correspondence Chess Association
Please contact either one of them via their ICCF Player's page on the server.
There are prizes offered by the Demian family. The total prize fund is $2,000 USD broken down as follows:
- $250 USD - 1st place (clear after tie-breaks) in each of the 6 groups
- $250 USD - best game of the tournament split 50-50 between both players
- $250 USD - best game played with the 1. Nc3 opening split 50-50 between both players. This has been an opening my father was passionate about and played it exclusively for many years
Any participating player may submit one or more of their finished games for consideration. The information about the jury to make the selection and decide on the winner games will be announced at a later date.
SHORT BIOGRAPHY - VALER VASILE DEMIAN (Dec 15, 1934 - Nov 16, 2018)
|Valer Vasile Demian was born on December 15, 1934 in Satu Mare, in a family of noble origin, directly involved in the unification of Transylvania with Romania from 1918. WWII and the subsequent communist control over Romania marked him for life. They were refugees in Aiud (1942) and later arrived in Arad, where he spent his whole life.
First and foremost, his professional choices were limited. He managed to make the best out of them and became a high school math teacher. He did it with passion until his retirement. Many bright youths from our home city (Arad) built a solid theoretical foundation before moving on to the Universities of their choice. His teaching skills were also easily translated into chess, and several of his former students became decent national level players.
One of his most memorable saying was:
"This time I explained it so well, even I understood it"
Online resources: ROU and ICCF
My father learned the game from my grandfather